Thursday, May 20, 2010

Wholesome TV

When I was growing up, I was only allowed to watch certain programs on TV, which I still love to watch today. My favorite show of all time is I Love Lucy. But Lucy is not what I want to discuss today. I want to discuss Wholesome shows that have been labled unrealistic, because of their wholesomeness. I think that this kind of language which came back then and which still comes from the media today, is actually a way to cause family breakdown.

I am speaking of shows like the Brady Bunch, The Waltons, Little House on the Prairie, and even the Cosby Show. Instead of praising such shows, and encouraging aspiring to such high morals, we were told that such lifestyles were ficticious at best. Why is it so impossible to relate to Claire Huxtable yet we were totally expected to relate to Florida Evans, keeping us in a poverty mindset. Why was it so far fetched to believe that a blended family (the Brady Bunch) could actually get along? That in middle class america people did not have those experiences? They made sure that low income children who watched those shows knew they could never have such a life or love or a family, by constantly reporting that such lives were pure fiction.

I always wanted a close knit family like the Waltons and I do experience that very thing when I am with my family in Mississippi. Having such a thing is possible if we only keep it simple: Trust God's Word, God's word outlines for us Family.

Be the Example.

No comments:

Post a Comment